The damages section in MerusCase allows firms to enter in line items such as police report or medical record fees, emotional distress, loss of wages, and more.
Damages in MerusCase are visible to all case types which allows each firm to track expenses to be billed against the firm’s client account. The line item totals, such as invoiced or demanded, can be referenced and utilized when drafting a Demand Letter and can be used to enter information within the Settlements tab in MerusCase.
The damages section can be found within the submenu of the Case Ledger tab (displayed as a dollar sign) within a case.
Adding a New Damage
1. Inside a case, click the Ledger $ tab. Select Damages.
2. To add a new damage, click on the New Line Item button.
3. Fill out the information and enter a description toward the bottom of this page. You can select the Other damage type, if you would like to note a line item that does not correspond with the other types. After clicking Save in the top right corner, the totals will appear at the bottom of the Damages page.
Editing a Damage
In the Ledger $ tab > Damages section:
1. Click on the line item you want to edit.
2. Edit the fields as necessary and click the Save button in the top right corner.
Deleting a Damage
To delete, click on the Control Column (the blue box with three dots) next to the desired line item and select Delete Entry.
Anytime a user deletes an item, a red popup message will appear asking the user to confirm this action.
Any table in MerusCase allows for filtering across any of the columns on your screen to provide the user a tailored list within the system. You can use the filter to quickly find a specific line item within the Damages section. Additionally, MerusCase supports the use of multiple filters at once.
To filter the damages, in the Ledger $ tab > Damages section, click the magnifying glass to the right of the search bar. Under Filter here, you can filter by Description, Type, Payor, and many other categories.
Select Always use this column if you wish to always use the same filter type.
If you want to filter the damages by multiple filters at once - for example, filtering by both Type and Payor, you can click New Shortcut. Visit the Search and Filter Tricks page for more information on creating custom filter shortcuts.